Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A New Chapter

Yesterday wasn't the easiest day.  I mean, nothing major happened.  Everyone was healthy.  It was just one of those days.  I woke up grumpy (lack of sleep anyone?), it was really hot, and my hubby didn't get home until 9 PM.  Looooooong day!

Another thing that was weighing on me was that it was my last day of maternity leave where I had my two older kids in school at the same time.  You see, my daughter is in first grade.  During my maternity leave, that means I've had one less kid during each week day (unless she was sick, which was often this winter).  My son, the middle child, is in preschool two days a week.  So, every Tuesday and Thursday when the kids were healthy, I got three hours to spend with just my newborn.  Those hours were absolutely precious.  I know it sounds Hallmark cheesy, but I truly cherished those hours. I could stare into her eyes, snuggle her sweet neck and cheeks, and just hold her without interruption. With her being the third child, moments like that are not easy to come by.  Usually, I'm balancing her on one arm while making a snack or helping with homework, or corralling a two-year-old with the other.

I tried to soak in every moment of alone time yesterday with my baby.  I picked up a yummy breakfast after we dropped off my son.  Once I got home, I settled into my favorite chair with my Boppy, my baby, and my breakfast.  I savored my food while I nursed my sweet girl.  Then, I let her fall asleep in my arms for quite a while and just enjoyed feeling her warm weight against me.  Typically, I'd try to get her in her swing or bed while she napped so I could do laundry.  Not yesterday, though.  I just held her.

The rest of the day wasn't overly eventful.  Once I picked up my son, the normal routine took over.  Snack for him, pick up my daughter, snack for her, dance class, baths, dinner, bed.  The whole day was constantly covered by the gray cloud that is my inevitable return to work.

I'll be back in my classroom with my high schoolers on Thursday.  I love my job.  I really love my students this year.  A part of me is anxious to get back to them and see them off for the summer.  Mostly, though, I am dreading leaving my baby behind.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Until my we win the lotto, work will be a part of my life until I retire.

Here are my three proud moments from yesterday:
1. I let myself relax and enjoy Zoey Bug.
2. I managed to vacuum the dining room.
3. After being grumpy in the morning, I calmed down and was back to my nice self by the time my older kids were home.

No comments:

Post a Comment